Photo image of scanned scrapbook page. The York Portland Cement Plant; B & O Railroad Tracks. The company began operations in Yorktown in New Boston on July 1, 1907. The tracks were laid n April, prior to opening. It was sold in 1913 to Ironton Portland Company after going into receivership in 1910.
Handcolored photo of YMCA built in 1906 at 2829 Gallia Street(at the end of Norfolk Street) by the N & W Railroad for railroad employees sleeping quarters. It was closed in 1960 and razed in 1968.
Tinted image of the YMCA building at 2829 Gallia Street at the end of Norfolk Street, built in 1906 by the N & W for railroad employees sleeping quarters. It was closed in 1960 and razed in 1968.
Tinted image of the building built in 1906 at 2829 Gallia Street by the N & W Railroad for employees sleeping quarters. It was closed in 1960 and razed in 1968.
The Railroad Y. M. C. A was built in 1908 to accommodate the N and W railroad workers needing to stay over in Portsmouth.
It was located on Gallia Street at the upper end of Norfolk Street.
Colorized photo image of the Y.M.C.A. at the corner of Gallia and Norfolk Streets. It was built by the N & W Railroad for railroad employees' overnight sleeping rooms. It was closed in 1960 and razed in 1968.
Photo image of scanned scrapbook page. Pictured is a typed page giving information about the Wurster Family. They were Germans who located in Scioto County. John G. Wurster Bakery; Wurster Brothers Drug Store; John G. Wurster Jr.; Pabst's Orchestra; Enos Reed; Daily Blade; Drug Store; Charles Seebohm; Sarah Kettle's school; "Santa Clause" Lewis
Colorized image of the Wilson School which was built in 1927 on Campbell Avenue between Sixth (6th) & Seventh (7th) Streets. It was the first elementary school to have a gymnasium. Closed in 2006, it was razed in 2007.
Colorized image of the Women's Club House at the north-west corner of Fifth (5th) & Court Streets. In 1878 the Portsmouth Board of Education gave this building for use as the first public library, also known as the "Wharton Library." The new Carnegie Library on Gallia Street opened in 1906. City directories from 1908 - 1913 list the Portsmouth Federation of Women's Clubs at 501 Court Street. Boy Scouts used this building in the early 1920's. From 1928 to 1955 the Portsmouth City Health Department was located here. The building was razed in about 1960.